Just got my new Canon 24-70 2.8 L II Lens yesterday. After having shot with the Canon 24-70 2.8L for nearly 9 years as my main lens, this is a pretty big deal for me. Ive already been getting some questions by email and would like to let you guys know what I think so far:
Overall, it is a beautiful lens, seems very well thought out:
– As expected, it is shorter, wider and lighter than the v1, which means that it fits better in my bag. V1 was a tight fit. It is more round, but overall feels smaller.
– The images are noticeably sharper. In a recent test, Lens rentals determined that this is the sharpest Canon zoom ever made: Lens Rental Test on 24-70 28 L II
– Noticeably ess vignetting in the corners at wider focal lengths.
– I am using it on the Canon 5Diii , and boy…what a pair the two make! Snappy & fast resulting in crisp images.
– Ive been asked a lot about upgrading. My answer is absolutely yes if you have the $$$. Also, if you have a V1, you should seriously consider selling it on Ebay. They are going on there for $1400 up no problem, which would make this an $800 upgrade (well worth it). I haven’t decided what I will do with mine, but I’m feeling I will probably also sell it on Ebay eventually.
– I know of a few camera stores that will have a couple limited copies this week. Message me on my FB Page if you are interested in getting a copy.
I will try to do a comparison test shoot soon and will post the images.