Welcome to Michael's blog. Michael Andrew, (aka Michael The Maven) is a freelance producer, photography instructor, tech innovator, and when needed, disaster aid specialist. Disclaimer: Michael is a participant in Bhphoto & Amazon affiliate programs that provides an advertising commission if you purchase through links on this website.
1. A feel for emotion or connection with the person in the portrait. Some of the finalists did this very, very well.
2. Variety- Looking for something that was truly different or stood out.
3. Looking for "Up Close and Personal" type shots. This is something I talk about on my Portrait Crash Course lessons on my DVDs. There were very few shots that were unafraid to "get close". They seemed to stand out more.
4. Sharpness in the eyes is, as a rule of thumb, very important but its ok to break this rule intentionally.
5. Interesting background textures scored extra points.
6. "Moment in Time" type shots, the monk and the young boy in the window also stood out because they were in their natural environments in an artistic way.
7. Composition always matters. Some of the shots were a little too centered, but were otherwise so technically well done, it didnt matter.
Congratulations to all our finalists! Please be sure to vote!