Viewing one post | view all recent posts
Michael The Maven's 2011 - Year in Review
I want to wish everyone a very happy new year and a job well done getting through 2011. A HUGE thank you- to everyone who has and continues to support me, it means so much to me because you guys are the reason I am able to do the things I am able to. If it wasn't for you, none of this would be here!
I would strongly encourage you to make a list of the things you are happy about in 2011, as well as what you want to do in 2012. Its good to reflect on these things at the end of the year, learn from your mistakes and move forward.
Here are some of the major goals I was able to complete in 2011:
- To write and publish my first book: Three Weeks in Haiti . (As a side note; I had absolutely no clue how much work was involved in writing a book, and I would say it took at least 3/5's of all my working time in 2011. Writing a book is no joke, I am not so sure I am ready to do it again. Ever. 3 Weeks in Haiti is published as an eBook and the first hard copies should be available sometime next week). I feel very good about this.
- Had a very meaningful and wonderful disaster aid trip in Japan after the tsunamis in March. I made literally dozens of new friends and was privileged to serve with them, shoulder by shoulder for 5 amazing weeks. One of the best experiences of my life.
- Established my first Aid Charity Group "Red Lightning", which specializes in disaster information systems.
- Created my first Disaster Aid App, yet to be released (We are in Beta testing now).
-Learned to play the piano!! Isn't that crazy?!?! I don't talk about it much because I am not that good, but yes, I take piano lessons just about every week from a fantastic piano instructor named Angie Carr. She's wonderful. I think I took about 30 lessons in 2011 and can now sight read and play with reasonably well with both hands. Im not that great, but at least I'm actually enjoying it now and feel like I am at the point where with practice I can play most basic pieces. I feel like I have finally gained a musical talent, aside from the fact that I am not that good- I am really happy about this.
- Released the Canon 60 Crash Course DVD
- Released the Canon T3i Crash Course DVD
- Released the Accessories for DSLRs DVD
- Released the Steno App
- Released Contract Maker Elite App, as well as 2 Free Contract Maker trail versions and multiple updates on iTunes.
- Released 4 Android Contract Maker Apps
- Hired my first full time assistant, Adam Pope
- Traveled to Burma for a week long Photography Trip (It was awesome).
There was also several other Projects started in 2011, that will be completed in 2012. The ones I am willing to talk about:
- Restarted production on the "Lighting Crash Course DVD" (Its going to be awesome).
- Designed and Created a New Social Media Website that is yet to be announced. Should see something here in the next 2-3 months.
Looking back on this list now, I am actually a little bummed I wasn't able to get more done. The book wiped me out big time, but it was definitely worth it.
My main focus right now is finishing the LIghting Crash Course. I spent most of Christmas break working on new scripts- this will be one of my best DVDs. I think if Adam and I work really hard, we can expect an end of Jan 2012 release.
As far as goal setting for 2012, The shortest, best advice I can give anyone on goal setting is:
Pick just one thing and stay locked on it until you get it done. There are a bunch of little things I could add, but the most important is to just chip away at it, day after day.
What do you have planned for 2012?